Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage in Seattle. Give your body the chance to heal. The lymphatic system is like a river of life that cleanses every cell and organ in the body. It is the path through which the 17 trillion cells in the body clear out toxins. It is a complex system of fluid drainage and transport. The lymph nodes filter the fluid that is forced out of the bloodstream during normal circulation to remove bacteria, fungus, viruses, abnormal cells and toxins. This fluid is then transported back into the bloodstream via the lymph vessels. In essence we can say that the lymphatic system is in charge of our immune system.
The lymphatic flow can stagnate for many reasons, such as swelling, chronic inflammation, lack of physical activity, stress, fatigue, emotional shock, advanced age, or poorly fitted bras and bras worn for an excessive amount of time. When lymphatic circulation slows down or becomes blocked, the regeneration of cells becomes less robust. Stagnant lymph circulation allows toxins and proteins to accumulate around cells, causing cellular oxygenation to decrease and tissue regeneration to diminish, which can affect white blood cell counts.
What is Lymphatic Drainage Massage?
The lymphatic system does not have a pump like the heart but relies on the movement of the body and the contraction of the skeletal muscles to propel lymph though the vessels to lymph nodes and then beyond the nodes to the lymph ducts which return lymph to the cardiovascular system. This squeezing action of the muscles forces the lymph along its vessels.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage reproduces this action to benefit and increase overall health and well being. Lymphatic drainage is believed to reduce blockage which promotes health in the lymphatic system as well as the circulatory, respiratory, muscular, and endocrine systems.
Functions of the Lymphatic System
- Drains excess fluid from the tissues, preventing edema (swelling)
- Fights infection by filtering out micro-organisms through the lymph nodes and by lymphocytes producing antibodies.
- Supports the immune system.
- Carries protein molecules that are too large to pass through the blood capillary walls back to the blood stream.
- Removes waste materials from the body’s cells.
- Absorbs the products of fat digestion from the villi of the small intestine.
- Provides a constant exchange with the blood to deliver nutrients, oxygen and hormones and remove waste.
Benefits of Lymphatic Drainage Massage:
Wellness & Detox Benefits of Manual Lymphatic Drainage:
- Improved immune function
- Clears edema & water retention
- Relieves lymph-edema
- Aids general detoxification
- Reduces inflammation
- Accelerated healing
- Relaxation and balanced energy
- Improves allergies
- Lessens sinus symptoms
- Decrease headaches & migraines
- Digestive and bowel problems
- Post dental procedures
- Improved heavy metal detox
- Support drug detox
- Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndromes
Endocrine Benefits of Lymphatic Drainage Massage:
- Supports healthy weight
- Hormone imbalance
- Female & male pelvic conditions
Orthopedic & Rehabilitation Benefits of Lymph Drainage:
- Minimize swelling in injuries
- Accelerate healing
- Pre & Post-operative prep & recovery
- Increase performance in athletics and decrease muscular and tendon strain
- Improved chronic and acute muscle & joint pain
- Reduced joint swelling
Aesthetic Benefits of Manual Lymphatic Drainage:
- Reduces post-cosmetic surgery healing time
- Improves outcome post Liposuction- Fat Transfer- Brazilian Butt Lift
- Decreases appearance of cellulite
- Lessens under eye swelling
- Improves skin smoothness and brightness
- Enhances benefits of skin care procedures
- Minimizes scar tissue
- Improve outcome or surgery
- Accelerate healing process
- Alleviate the main post-surgery issues such as: Pain, bruising, swelling, numbness, scaring & fibrosis.
Considerations – Contraindications of Lymphatic Drainage Massage:
- Severe medical condition (Unless cleared with a doctor’s note)
- Nursing (breast feeding mothers must pump and dump for at least 72 hours)
- Thrombosis (blood clot) / thrombophlebitis
- Unexplained calf pain – (after surgery- must be cleared with a doctor’s note)
- Renal insufficiency and cardiac issues (Must be cleared with a doctor’s note)
- Cancer or chemotherapy with in the last 6 months (Must be cleared with doctor’s note)
- Major Cardiac or vascular problems
- Advanced untreated diabetes (Must be cleared with a doctor’s note)
- Organ Transplant (Must be cleared with a doctor’s note)
- Serious infections and un-diagnosed skin infections
Questions about Manual Lymphatic Drainage:
Q. How do I prepare for my Lymphatic Drainage session?
Please be well hydrated before treatment and continue drinking water after your session. Avoid alcohol or other substances prior to treatment.
Q. What should I do or know after my session?
- You must cleanse your body internally with water for 6 hours after lymphatic therapy. Drink one glass of water per hour for 6 hours for optimal effect and to minimize detoxification symptoms. You may add minerals and electrolytes to your water.
- Moderate physical activity such as walking or biking is highly recommended following therapy. Also rebounding on a trampoline is highly effective. These types of activity will facilitate movement of lymph and toxins.
- It is recommended to use dry skin brushing on a regular basis. (Use a boar brush or another natural brush- brushing toward the heart)
- Use a whole body vibration machine to improve lymph flow.
- Get an abdominal massage treatment. We have noticed much improvement in overall lymph health by complementing Lymph Drainage Therapy with Abdominal Massage
Q. Will I experience any detox symptoms?
Everyone is different. Some discover they have a burst of energy immediately and others feel a little tired after their lymphatic treatment. The most common reported complaint is feeling fatigued immediately after and up to a day following treatment, followed by a rush of energy. Any experience of nausea or headache is most likely the result of being under hydrated before your treatment. Please drink plenty of water before and after your session.
We look forward to being a part of your wellness team. Schedule your appointment HERE.